Monday, April 5, 2010

Pedro Isztin

The third artist that I want to talk about is Pedro Isztin,

"Transformation revisits the pain, joy, and suffering that our psyches are stamped with, no matter how little or large those experiences as a child. Some childhoods are so numb, they are a blur, but they always contain the few pieces of a puzzle. We are not alone. Memories prove that" -Expert from Artist Statement, Pedro Isztin (Contact Sheet)

His photographs are 8X10'' chromogenic prints, were he has a subject wearing a photograph of himself as a child. That photograph is taped onto their bodies with red tape which raises questions about that choice. Why red tape? Why in that specific area of their bodies? What is the connection between the past and the body part in which they are taped to? Picture within a picture is a widely explored idea, in which memory can be effectively evoked. Each subject is taken through time into their past, and childhood. I think that Isztin's work implies ideas of time, change, and culture which every individual goes through in life.


2 comments:

  1. What do you think about the tape? I know what my reaction was when I first saw this work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I can't find any student comments to comment on, I'll just do so to yours, Chris!

    I also think the red tape is sort of mysterious- why red tape? Just from looking at these, I wonder if the color has any significance at all. Could it be that its just less boring than scotch tape and adds color to these black and white photos of the past? The tape itself and the specific placement of the photos might suggest that these are memories of the past, only stuck in the mind.

    ReplyDelete