Monday, April 5, 2010

Cyrus Karimipour


"It is not necessary that my memories be based solely on actual events, but rather, I afford myself the opportunity to tailor them to meet the feeling that recreates my encounters with those I have photographed. My photographs illustrate the liquid nature of memory through the combination of the familiar with the unfamiliar" -Expert from Artist Statement, Cyrus Karimipour (Contact Sheet)

When I was going through a contact sheet featuring an exhibition called Tracing Memory I thought it was rather interesting how the artist expressed their ideas about memory with the medium of photography. One of the artists featured was:
Cyrus Karimipour.

His photographs are 16X16'' pigmented inject prints, that feature some sort of collages and manipulations. All of the images are unclear as to what the detail should be. One can depict faces, and figures making a strong appearance but nothing clear. There is a sense of movement, blurriness and distortion that in my opinion references to memories and their loss information as time transcends. It seems to me that the manipulation helps the artist to recreate, and rebuild memories past, or even memories that are completely invented.

No comments:

Post a Comment